MakeMusic Finale Version 25 is here! With the new version comes several changes. We've outlined the differences between the New Finale 25 vs. Finale 2014 below. You can now find all editions of Finale in our Online Store! Talk to your Romeo Music Rep today to get the latest version of Finale!
Differences Between Finale 2014.5 and the new Finale (version 25)
Finale v.25 is a full 64-bit application incorporating new features, streamlined workflow, bug fixes, and under-the-hood enhancements resulting in improved performance.
Features added in this release include:
- 64-bit Support – Moving to 64-bit prepares Finale for future operation systems, offers more stable performance, and provides compatibility with 64-bit sound libraries.
- An incredible playback library – The library of premium Garritan sounds included with Finale has been augmented with more than 100 new additions, including a stunning Concert D grand piano from the award winning Personal Orchestra 5.
- New ARIA Player – Now you can more easily and quickly select any instrument from Finale’s vast collection of Garritan sounds AND enjoy more control over the included convolution reverb.
- Transposed note entry – When inputting music into transposed staves, Finale plays the transposed pitch on entry as well as during playback.
- ReWire support – Finale users who also work with digital audio software have long wanted to be able to sync with these applications. ReWire makes it possible to press play in Digital Performer (for example) and have both DP and Finale playback in sync.
- Improved Human Playback – The feature that makes your music sound like humans are performing it now responds instantly when you press play.
- Large time signatures – While Finale has always been able to display very tall time signatures, in previous versions setting them up could be tricky. Not any more.
- Contoured Dashed Slurs – While Finale has always had a dashed curve, an additional contoured dash slur has been added due to popular publisher requests.
- Expanded MusicXML import and export – You can share music with users of other software more accurately than ever before.
In an effort to fully modernize and streamline Finale, some features found in Finale 2014.5 are not found in the new version.
- Movie Window – ReWire functionality replaces the Movie Window. This allows users to sync Finale with other pro-level audio software (including Logic and ProTools) which provide much more sophisticated video capabilities.
- Mirror Tool and Metronome Tool – These antiquated tools have been removed, in part because usage data confirmed how little they were used. Earlier files that utilized the mirror tool can easily be converted to regular notes and rests.
- Plug-ins – Discontinued plug-ins include Band-in-a-Box Auto-Harmonizing, Count Items and Classic Eighth Beams.
- Scanning – The new Finale was to feature overhauled scanning functionality including PDF import. When this feature was publicly previewed, concerned feedback from publishers and composers was overwhelming. In response, MakeMusic is taking a step back in order to provide future functionality that all musicians can live with. As a result, v.25 will not include any scanning capabilities.