The Zoom H2n Handy Recorder is the only portable recording device to come with five built-in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround. Other advanced features include automatic gain control and onboard MS decoding, plus effects like compression, limiting and low cut filtering. You can even use the H2n as a multi-purpose USB microphone!
With its multiple microphones and recording modes, the H2n can handle just about every kind of application. Here are just a few ways it can be used:
- Live recording of concerts and rehearsals, in either stereo or surround sound
- Location videography—the H2n gives you plenty of options in postproduction
- Creating audio for YouTube videos
- Generating lasting audio documents of important events
- As a USB microphone providing input to recording software
Five microphones, four ways of recording!
The H2n offers not one, not two, but five built-in microphones. Two of them are arranged as an X/Y pair, while the other three are configured in an MS ("Mid-Side") pattern. They can be used separately for X/Y or MS stereo recording, or combined to create stunning 2- or 4-channel surround sound.
The H2n provides an arsenal of effects that allow you to add polish to your recordings and compensate for any problems or limitations in the acoustics of the recording environment. Compression and limiting can be used to control fluctuations in level, acting like an automatic volume control. The main difference between the two is that a limiter reduces louder sounds more severely. A low-cut filter removes signal below a designated frequency. This is useful for eliminating pops, wind noise, blowing, and other kinds of low frequency rumble such as transmitted resonance from an onstage mic stand. There's also an onboard metronome and chromatic / guitar / bass tuner. In addition, playback can be looped and the playback speed varied without pitch change (or vice versa) to facilitate phrase training.
The H2n requires just 2 AA batteries—either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH. Battery life when using alkaline batteries is more than 20 hours, even during continuous recording. Alternatively, you can use an optional AD-17 AC adapter, which allows you to power the H2n from any standard wall socket.
The H2n records directly to SD cards. It supports standard SD and SDHC cards, up to 32 gigabytes.
The Zoom H2n comes with free download licenses for Sternberg’s Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, providing not just the ability to capture superior audio in every box, but to do spectacular things with it.
Take your recordings to a more professional level. Steinberg’s powerful and state-of-the-art audio software used by creators around the world now comes with every Zoom Handy Recorder purchase.
- Five built-in microphones and four recording modes: Mid-Side (MS) stereo, 90° X/Y stereo, and both 2-channel and 4-channel surround
- Analog-type input gain control
- Auto Gain provides three preset recording levels
- Stereo ⅛" Mic/Line In mini phone jack with Plug-in power (2.5V)
- Stereo ⅛" Phone/Line Output jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.8 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- WAV to MP3 conversion
- Internal mixdown: four-track surround to stereo
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting and low-cut filtering
- Onboard MS decoding
- Normalize and Divide functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150% for phrase training
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer and use as a USB microphone
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Data recovery function automatically saves data if power fails or card is removed
- Mounts directly to tripod or DSLR
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AC adapter (AD-17, USB to AC type)
- Over 20 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries
- Operation manual
- 2 AA batteries
- Steinberg WaveLab LE editing software
Optional H2n accessories:
APH-2n Accessory Package includes remote control with extension cable, windscreen, AD-17 AC adapter (USB type), USB cable, adjustable tripod stand, padded-shell case, and a mic clip adapter.